Date published: 31st July 2013
Through the Cassowary Awards, the Wet Tropics Management Authority recognises those who do outstanding work for the Wet Tropics World Heritage Area. Nominations of deserving individuals or groups are put forward by the public each year. Final recipients of the 2013 Cassowary Awards, including the Young Cassowary Award, will be announced at a special ceremony on 9 November. Nominations for the Cassowary Awards are to address the following selection criteria:
- Excellence in the nominee's field
- Personal, academic and/or professional achievements
- Length of service
- Inspirational role model for the community
- Leadership, innovation and creativity
- Difficulty of the achievement and sacrifices made.
Nominations close 31 October 2013.
2013 Young Cassowary Award
The Wet Tropics Management Authority also recognises young individuals and groups through a Young Cassowary Award. Young people are recognised for their contributions to conserve the Wet Tropics World Heritage Area and surrounding landscapes through activities or studies. Projects may include:
- rainforest tree planting
- a science experiment or research project
- weed control or rubbish collection
- a video, poster or mural about the rainforest
- raising money for endangered species
- a community education camp
- a project about Wet Tropics plants or animals.